Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Writing Play - "A Fat Soul"

The experience of writing a play script was an unusual one as this is not something that we will write in our leisure. Often we will opt for a short story or a more compact product like poetry, but writing a plays had never crossed my mind.

The last experience of me writing a play was back at my foundation years which I have to adapt from the original text of “Pygmalion” by Bernard Shaw. I was in charged in the second act and I could remember vividly that all I did was summarizing the whole act to a shorter version without even paraphrasing the lines in the play. Now then I thought of it I am laughing at my own naïve-ness at that time, I was a newbie in literature, what more on plays as one of the oldest history in literature.

However, writing this recent play was a fun experience as well. I really enjoy myself when I had brainstorming sessions with my group members to come out with the main theme of the play, what kind of characters to put in and what kind of words should we put in. When writing this one act play, we had divided 3 parts of our first rough draft into 6 scenes, and each of us was to write 2 scenes each. After that, we compiled our writings and do revision and editing together.

The whole process had been a successful one as everything worked out really well. We managed to finish draft one in a week time, and getting it back from our tutor with a good feedback. Therefore I am very happy to announce that we had the play done and it was a really interesting experience to have in this class as well as a good experience of having a successful collaborative work with my friends.

The play that we had written was entitled “A Fat Soul” which was about a fat girl who had lost her loved one because of her weight problem. Being heartbroken, she sorted the extreme way to lose weight to gain back her confidence. At the end of the play, she successfully lost weight and gain a man who truly loved her for who she is. This play was written based on the issue of weight problem because it is something that youngsters nowadays are familiar with and we hope, when they are reading the play, could bring them realizations that beauty comes from within but not from the appearance.

We really hope that this one act play will work out well. After all, three of us do deserve beginner’s luck! Special thanks to Hui Nee and also Jia Yiing. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment