Saturday, March 28, 2009

"I Broke The Covenant... So What?" said King Lear

So you pay the price.

It’s kind of interesting when the only three plays that I’ve learnt thoroughly so far were all about relationship between God and human beings. No doubt, it had changed my personal point of view towards this world, since all these while I’m the pagan believer, and these plays had make me believed the existence and the power from the “above”.

“King Lear” by Shakespeare was a total tragedy. However this tragedy, in my opinion, was not worth to be sympathized with. Every catastrophe that Lear experienced in the play, it was all stemmed from his own foolish actions and decisions. If he did not ideal of a care-free life to spend his old age and step down from his throne, he would not caused the two daughters’ greed for the kingly power. If he did not insist on the stupid game on professing love through words, he would not lose his dearest daughter and built his own path to his madness and doom. It was all because of his own actions, he had nothing to be sympathized on.

The Elizabethan world view in this play was, although a cruel one, but also a bloody truth that showed to us that men can never outwit the power from the above. Once you broke the covenant, once your action diverts from the law of nature, you have no place to hide and no place to run. That proved the old-time saying right, pay for your own actions. Sadly no man in Earth seemed to realize that this golden rule of nature was always around them, they continue to sin, they continue to live their lives in shadow, they continue to live the way they want without thinking of consequences. And more sadly, I used to be one of them.

I now believe in retribution. I now believe in karma. I hate being so cautious in my life at so young a age, but I like being informed that when I was doing something, someone would be watching me, at least I behave much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment