Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Experience of Simulated Teaching - Set Induction

In my set induction I had chosen to work on the story “Soul Gone Home” by Langston Hughes. The reason why I chose this play to work on is because I noticed that most of my classmates had chosen plays like “The Ring Doesn’t Fit” and also “The Ring”, which I think will be rather repetitive if I also pick these plays for my simulated teaching.

I was among the middle of the group to present where all of us had been through a few hours of looking at our friends presenting their teachings. I believe most of us had become quite bored at that time because for the whole session, the class was exceptionally quiet with little responses. So when I was presenting my set induction, I was having a hard time to elicit responses from my “students”. I spent some of my time trying to rephrase the limited responses that I had, hopefully my “students” would understand what my set induction is about.

I felt that I was quite nervous that day, so I stammered a little and maybe some slip of tongues and some grammatical mistakes in my speech. However, I did not get any positive or negative response from my tutor Mr. Harold, since he would sometimes comment on the good ones and the bad ones at the end of every session. So I guess I was on the right track for my set induction.

I had used a song named “Family Portrait” by Pink to portray the theme of mother-son relationship in the play “Soul Gone Home”. From my observance, none of my classmates had used song’s video clip but there are some who had used songs as their set induction. Most of them had opted for pictures and also video clips from movies. Thus, I think I had done something different from my classmates that do not bore my students even more, apart from the topic that I have chosen.

Overall, I would grade myself moderately because of the flaws that I had. I would definitely work on these flaws when I present my pre-reading and also while-reading activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment